Wednesday, November 17, 2010

black vs brown

Black vs Brown. The two colors that people say "never wear together!" Surely wearing them together makes for some sort of fashion faux pas? But today, I want to show you ways that you can make these two colors compliment each other.

First I'd like to start by showing a couple of examples of how NOT to wear black and brown together.


Emmy Rossum is a beautiful girl. But wearing a mostly black outfit and then throwing on a brown bag? Not ok. The picture on the right is just 7 different kinds of wrong.. but we are focusing on the black and brown.

Don't be discouraged. Everyone is entitled to a few fashion faux pas in their lifetime. I know I've had my fair share of them. So let's find out how black and brown work together...


Above are just a few examples of how you can mix the two colors. My favorite example is the second from the left - Anne Hathaway. (And for all of you movie buffs out there, tell me what movie this is from!)

It's really all about the different colors of brown that you try and mix with black. Obviously, tans are more of a neutral color than a brown color. And neutrals go great with black. But the amazing chocolate leather jacket and a simple black turtleneck sweater - pure genius. I also love how Kristen Bell (first picture from the right) throws a simple brown cardigan over a black dress with darker brown boots.

So you're probably thinking - "Ok, so movies stars can get away with it. But that doesn't help me any."

I've put an outfit together for you..... you're welcome :)





I hope this helps you when you're out shopping and you stop and think...."Does this actually work together?" And if you have to take longer than 10 minutes to figure it out....it probably doesn't work.

I write what I know. And I know All Things Girl.

[this post was inspired by Kati Baldwin. thanks, Kati!]

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I messed up on my first post so I had to delete it.... oops! :o)
    Now I will try again!.....
    Good blog, Amy.... I'm now inspired to go buy a new black/brown outfit! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to tell you.. i think it's funny you posted this. i just saw a lady today wearing all black and brown and it was NOT done well. it would have added great dimension to your "what not to do" portion of this post haha. i love you.. thank you for helping me get over my black and brown heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the movie is.....The Devil Wears Prada! I love that movie and that's actually one of my favorite outfits from the whole movie :) funny I know because that movie is filled with awesome fashion and I pick the black/brown combo, but I love how cute but casual and laid back the outfit! great post Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I am sending this link to Danielle Cody.

    ReplyDelete