Tuesday, April 12, 2011

taking something good and making it bad

I will go ahead and warn you now..... today's post is not very light-hearted.

These past couple of weeks, I've been struggling with the thought of having something good and then turning it into something bad. This can be intentional or unintentional. For a lighter example: healthy food. You can eat all the healthy food you want. But if you eat too much of it, it won't do you any good. For a heavier example: Facebook. Facebook was invented for the sole purpose of better communicating with your peers. But look at what it has turned into today. There are people pretending to be people they are not. There are sexual predators. There are fights caused from it. There has been a whole new level for relationships, "FBO" (Facebook official). Why must we take something good and always make it into something bad?

Don't get me wrong. I love Facebook. And I'm not sure that I could go back to the days before Facebook. It is the way that I keep up with all of my friends and family that don't live close by. I just hate what it has turned into. Sometimes I have to take a step back and take a break for a few days. Get a little Facebook Detox here and there.

Text messaging. Sure, I text people. I receive texts from other people. I have conversations through text messaging. But what a bad thing it has turned into. I was watching Good Morning America this morning and they were doing a special interview with the woman that Brett Favre "sexted." Wow. Sexting. Anyway...the thought was going through my head... "Text messaging was supposed to be a good thing. It was supposed to be your go-to when you were too busy to have a phone conversation. It was supposed to be the form of communication to use when you only had 2 seconds to type out a text." "Going to the store. Need anything?" It's an automatic grocery list. "In a meeting. Will call you later." Saving you an argument for when your wife asks you why you didn't answer your phone. But now it has turned into a conversational instrument. This has become a problem with teens more than anyone else. Texting has taken the place of actually courting a girl. [Does that sound old fashioned? Oh well] What happened to the days when you hung out with that person to actually get to know them? It scares me to know that when I have kids one day, they will be texting God knows who about God knows what! Hopefully I will have enough trust in them and they will know what is best for them. But still... when did texting become such a bad thing?

Rain. Rain is what replenishes the earth. It is God's way of renewing the ground. What He created. But if we have too much of it, we have flooding. Flooding can ruin people's homes and even people's lives.

Diet Coke. You all knowww my love for Diet Coke. But a recent study is saying that people who drink diet drinks are 70% higher at risk to have a stroke. Why? Why can't we just drink our Diet Coke and be on our happy little way?

This post has kind of been all over the board...but the main question is this: Why do we take something so innocent and good and turn it into something that does not glorify God? Whether we are doing it intentionally or unintentionally, I'm not sure my mind will ever be able to grasp the concept........


No comments:

Post a Comment