Wednesday, October 12, 2011

#chapeltweet

So if you know me, you know I have an opinion on just about everything. It's just in my blood. Well something has been on my heart lately and I wasn't sure if I wanted to address it or not. I don't want to cause a ruckus. And I definitely don't want to offend anyone. But the chapel tweets have really been on my mind.

What is this "chapel tweet" you ask? Well every Tuesday at 10:00 a.m., OBU holds chapel. It's required of OBU students to attend for 7 out of the 8 semesters they go to school there. And you can miss up to 4 times a semester.

I will be the first to admit that chapel wasn't my absolute favorite part of the week as a student. I always liked and appreciated the music. Sure we had some good speakers every now and then. But as a student, it just wasn't that interesting to me. I realized the reason for chapel. But I guess I just didn't appreciate it like I should have.

Within the past two years, students have taken to their Twitter while in chapel. At first, it was kind of cool to see all the students communicating about the school all at the same time. Some of them were pretty funny! But now it has taken a turn for the ugly. There are remarks made by current students about other students, guest speakers, faculty and staff that just aren't necessary. And if I were a student, I can't say that I wouldn't be making remarks myself. It's very easy to type out words and press send, without thinking the impact it might make on someone else.

But after stepping out of the bubble for a year, it has made me realize that the world is much bigger than OBU. There are greater problems than having to sit in JPAC for 50 minutes a week, listening to a speaker whom you have no clue of. You don't know their life. You don't know their background. But yet, you won't even give them the chance to tell you about it. You write them off as the "awkward chapel speaker" and go on with your day.

I realize that Twitter is a public forum. And people have the right to say what they want. I also realize that if I don't want to see the chapel tweets, I can just quit following certain people. But I'm just kind of disappointed. I'm afraid for prospective students to research #chapeltweet on Twitter. What will they find? Rude comments and remarks made from OBU students? Man, that will for sure get them to come to Ouachita.

I don't want you all thinking that I am condemning those who make the chapel tweets. I have said some pretty stupid things on Twitter myself. But if there's anything I've learned in life, it's not to make snap judgments about someone. I've learned that life is so much greater than the limits I put on it. I've learned that every person has just as many feelings as I have. And it could only take one small comment to ruin someone's day. Thankfully, I've learned that God loves us no matter our faults. And that is what I'm most grateful for.

I realize I might get some criticism for this post. But I just couldn't let it go unnoticed. So maybe next time....think before you tweet. I promise to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment