Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Engaged Life

So the engaged life is pretty great! I'm really trying my best to live every moment to it's fullest. Our engagement is only 4 months and 6 days long. So things are starting to move pretty fast and decisions are being made. It's all really exciting though! I am thrilled to be marrying the love of my life.

I've had people comment on how happy I look. And I'll go ahead and tell you, I really am as happy as I look! I realize I'm only 24 years old and that's still young. But I have been waiting for Brandon my whole life. I did not find the love of my life while in high school or college. My timing was much different than my friends'. And it's taken me that long [unfortunately] to be thankful for it. Don't get me wrong - I've always been super thrilled for every single one of my friends and their marriages. But I always questioned, "God, why not me? Why can't that happen for me now?"

Of course at the time, I couldn't see how silly I was acting. As humans, we have a very impatient and selfish nature. And as happy as I was for my friends, I wanted it to be me getting married so badly. I wanted to be picking out my ring. Picking out my dress. Choosing my bridesmaids. But the Lord kept saying, "No, not yet." If there's anything I've learned through this process, it's that the Lord's timing is so much greater than my own.

[I think I've said this 2399874 by now. But it's so true.]

If I wouldn't have waited, I would have settled. For something good, but not great. Not amazing. Not something that was God-breathed.

I guess I'm sharing this as a little encouragement to anyone who might be struggling with what I was struggling with. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with marriage. It might be a completely different situation. But even though there might be times where you think the Lord isn't listening, He is. His plan does have purpose. Even when we might not see it at the time.

I am living proof that the Lord really does care for us. No matter how long we have to wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment